Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Decadent Cream Cheese Truffles - Shavuot Miniature Desserts

I love dairy foods and desserts, after all who doesn't, so it's probably doesn't come as much surprise that I look forward to a Yom Tov, that is not all about the roast (yes, we got to make some of that too, but at least I can put emphasis on something other then that).
I find great pleasure in offering a variety of desserts, but find that at the end of the day, I have a bunch of open cheesecakes. Although they still taste as good, it doesn't look as presentable to reserve.
This year, I decided to make a miniatures dessert table.  Over the next couple of weeks, I hope to try all different recipes to include on my Yom Tov Viennese table.
A few weeks ago, my husband was flipping through a cookbook, in my mother's house, and came across a picture of cheesecake truffles.  He thought they looked delicious....  I don't remember which cookbook it was (so I cannot call my mother, since my mothers cookbook collection is pretty big) but remember the basic ingredient.  Since it came out delicious, I must have gotten it correct.  I thought it would look and taste fabulous, dipped in milk and white chocolate.



Truffles before coating












yum!


 


  


 


  Decadent Cream Cheese Truffles   (makes apx. 60 truffles)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Beat cream cheese till smooth.  Slowly add confectioners sugar until completely blended.  Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until well blended.  Refrigerate 1 hour to firm.  Shape into small 1" balls.  Return to refrigerator to firm up before dipping in chocolate coating.

Chocolate Coating
  • 2 bars (3.5 oz each) white chocolate
  • 2 bars (3.5 oz each) milk chocolate
Melt each type of chocolate separately in double boiler, or fondue.  Take a lot of care when melting chocolate.  Melt on low heat (too much heat will mess up the texture) and make sure the chocolate doesn't get into contact with any water.  Dip half the truffles in milk chocolate and half in white chocolate.  Drizzle truffles with opposite chocolate then coated in.
Keep in fridge till ready to serve.  Freezes well, so great to make ahead for Shavuot.

My husband proclaimed this 'melt in your mouth goodness!'

Enjoy,
Chanie


4 comments:

  1. how did you melt the white chocolate?
    also how did you roll them so perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melting chocolate is always hard, and white chocolate I melt it either in a fondue pot with a tea light, and take off when it starts to melt and continue stirring (return to fondue as it cools a little to keep it melting) or in a zip lock bag tightly sealed (water will ruin the chocolate) dip in hot water (hot not boiling)
      To make the balls round, after hardening in the fridge, I break off small balls and roll it in my palms, the heat of the hand helps give it a clean round finish.
      In middle of making these now for yom tov. Hope you enjoy the, as much as we do.

      Delete
  2. thanks, did them but couldnt roll them in the chocolate....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can also roll them in confectioners sugar, cocoa or nuts.

      Delete