Monday, March 7, 2011

Scrumptious Pot Roast

This past Friday, as I was preparing to cook a roast, I decided to try a new recipe.  I knew I wanted something with a lot of flavor, but even as I set out to make it, I had no clue what flavor I was going to make.
I started by browning my meat on all sides.  I then decided to add some fried onions... I love cooking and having no clue whats going to become of the food until its up to the simmer point.  At this point, I went to investigate what was in the fridge.  I found a Tupperware with tomato sauce left over from something I made the night before, and so it was decided there will be tomato sauce.  I then continued to search, and came up with the Club House 5 minute Montreal Steak Spice Rub.  And from there I continued to make this wonderful recipe.  Let me tell you, even my pickiest eater (who says he hates meat) finished an entire piece without one word of complaint (if you know my boy, you would know what kind of accomplishment that is)

Scrumptious Pot Roast
  • Shoulder roast
  • flour - for rubbing
  • oil - for frying
  • 2 medium onions - sliced in rings
  • 4 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 cup chicken soup
  • black pepper - to taste
  • Club House 5 minute Montreal Steak Spice Rub
Rinse and pat dry the roast.  Rub in a thin layer on flour on all sides. Brown on all sides till golden color (this helps seal in the moister to make a juicy roast.  Remove from pot.  Rub in a couple of Tablespoons of the Montreal Steak Spice Rub, and set aside to marinade.
Saute onion slices in pot till soft and just beginning to brown.  Add tomato sauce, chicken soup and black pepper.  Bring to boil.  Add roast and lower flame to simmer.  Cook on low flame for approximately 2 hours (more or less, depending on size on roast) turning once half way through.
Roast slices easiest when cold, so if time permits, wait till cold to slice, then return to sauce to reheat.  (As you can see in my pictures below,  I did not have time to wait on Erev Shabbos, and therefore the meat doesnt have the even smooth slices.)
Browned roast marinating.










Bon Appetite,
Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment