Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cream Cheese Pie

Week 2, day 3 of my Purple Cookbook Challenge.
My husbands grew up with very little dairy.  Milchigs was not a dinner or a dessert.  A bowl of cereal in the morning was the extent of the dairy (and not even that for some family members.)  Shavuot meant that after shul they ate a bowl of cereal and some 'milk cake' (the Israeli Shavuot cake made from biscuits and a pudding like filling) and then on to fleish.
Shavuot was always my favorite holiday.  I loved the blintzes and cheesecakes that were made in abundance.  I could not fathom the idea that anyone could really not feel like they were missing out on the lasagnas.  So in my first year of marriage, when I informer my husband of my plans to host his family for a yom tov meal, my style, he was skeptical and told me to make very little dairy and the rest of the meal parve.  
Well, as I entered the kitchen, I couldn't stop at one thing.  I made eggplant parmesan, lasagna, cheese blinzes and more.   I did make some potato blintzes, salmon and a lettuce salad, just in case.  For dessert, I made milchig ice cream and an assortment of cheesecakes and dairy pastries.  My husband was amused and told me that I'll have tons of leftovers.  Not only was that not the case, but the following week  my mother-in-law went out and bought some milchig dishes.  Not everyone caught on to the dairy craze, but I can attest to the fact that from that day forward my husband has been eating cheesecake, eggplant parmesan and lasagna (but without the farmers cheese).  In fact, my husband often asks me to make cheesecake.
Well, cream cheese is on sale this week, so I decided to make a cheesecake for my husband to enjoy.  I made the Cream Cheese Pie (Spice and Spirit, page 109). I prefer the look of cheesecakes baked in a spring-form pan, so I upper the recipe by 33%, and baked it in an 8" pan.  Results: delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment