Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Disaster Averted

I was hired to bake a cake for a Bat Mitzvah that was to take place last Thursday.  The Bat Mitzvah girl sat with me for some time designing the cake to her specifications.  She wanted the cake to have a globe on it and 2 candles with the line “מעט אור דוחה הרב חושך” “A little light dispels a lot of darkness” Being that I was to be out of town till Wednesday (the day before the event)  I planned to bake the cake in advance of my vacation, freeze and take it out when I get back to decorate it.  I baked the bottom tier but just as I was baking the top globe tier, my oven stopped working.  (At the time I also had challah sitting on my counter waiting its turn in the oven)  I called the mother of the girl and assured that I will figure something out, but I cannot promise what it will be.
I returned from vacation with a whole bunch of sketches but not quite sure what I’d do.  That night the Bat Mitzvah girl and her mom came over and with their help and understanding we created a new design sketch.  Something I could make with cakes I had in my freezer. Thank G-d, the cake came out to their satisfaction. 

I want to give a shout-out to my dear neighbor, CR, whom without her, my challah would not have been baked.

Thanks for stopping by,
Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment