Sunday, January 23, 2011

Old Fashion Cinnamon Buns Plus A Chocolate Buns Variation

After close to a month without an oven, it feels liberating to finally be able to bake again (take that- woman's lib! Yes, I feel liberated to be able to work in my kitchen) without running over to my neighbor. (Don't worry, C.R.,  I'll find other reasons to barge in on you guys)

When ever I'm walking through the food court at the mall, there is one place I always crave to stop and grab a snack (well actually there are 2, I also crave those  ice cream flavors at Gelato La Paysanne, but I'll try making my own homemade gelato another time)  Anyways, back to my mall cravings, my mouth always waters when I walk by Cinnabon.  I really believe these cinnamon buns would give them a run for there money (or so I like to convince myself, since I cannot taste those) These buns, both the cinnamon and chocolate variation, are delicious warm from the oven. 

Note: for best results, always bring all ingredients to room temperature before you begin baking.


Homemade cinnamon buns and chocolate buns.
 Delicious Cinnamon or Chocolate Buns

Yeast Dough
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup transfat free margarine (warm)
1 1/4 cup apple juice
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In bowl of stand mixer combine sugar, yeast, 2 cups flour and salt. Place margarine and apple juice in a pot, and cook till warm (dont have to melt margerinne).  Add to flour, yeast mixture.  Beat at low speed for 2 minutes.  Add eggs, vanilla and 2 cups of flour.  Beat 2 more minutes.  Add remaining flour and switch beater to kneading hook.  Knead apx 8 minutes till smooth.
Place dough in well oiled bowl and cover with greased wax paper and towel.  Allow to rise in warm place for 1 hour till doubles.
Divide dough in 2 equal pieces.
Preheat oven to 400*F.  Grease 2 cookie sheets and set aside.
Mix filling ingredients in bowl (ingredients listed below).   Roll out dough to large rectangle 18 x 12.  Spread with filling.  Roll up jelly roll style, holding longer side.  Do the same with second piece of dough and other filling.  Slice each 'jelly roll' into 1 inch slices.  Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover with towel and allow to rise 30 min till doubles. Brushing the buns with egg, at this point, can help the buns keep their shape while cooking, but this step isn't necessary. Bake for 20 minutes till golden.
For glaze, in small bowl, mix icing sugar, a few drops of vanilla and just enough water to make a thick but spreadable consistency.  Spread over warm buns.

Cinnamon Filling
1/4 cup margarine - softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tbs. water (more or less, to thin to spread able consistency)

Chocolate Filling
1/4 cup margerine - softened
1 egg white
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 Tbs. water

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
a few drops vanilla extract
2-4 teaspoons water

Hope you enjoy,

Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment