Monday, January 31, 2011

Effortless Silver Polishing

I have tons of patience when it comes to decorating or baking... I can get lost in time.  But when it comes to other housework, I'm the biggest procrastinator.   One of my worst chores, is silver polishing.  I have real knack for pushing that off.  In fact this past Shabbat, I was looking at my candlesticks and marveled at the many colors of tarnish that developed on it.  Although it was rather unique looking, I still decided that as soon as my week began, I would tackle it.
Well Monday morning came, and I really could not bring myself  to take out the silver polish. I hate the way everything that gets touched with the silver polish gets black, I hate the way the polish gets stuck in the small crevices leading to hours or Q-tip work... There had to be a better way out there.
I searched the internet and learnt a bit of chemistry.  You can make a  electrochemistry dip out of regular household products.  By using a solution of hot water, baking soda and salt, along with a piece of aluminum foil, you can make an easy dip that takes off the tarnish from your silver without any scrubbing at all.

What you need:
  • tarnished silver
  • hot water
  • baking soda
  • salt
  • aluminum foil
  • sink or large glass bowl
Line bottom of sink or bowl with aluminum foil.  Add hot water and dissolve baking soda and salt.  I found that for a medium size bowl, I needed approximately 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and salt.  You'll need more for large bowls or sink. Leave tarnished items in water for 1-5 minutes, until you see that the tarnish is no longer there.  Wipe dry with soft towel.


Before and after

Silver soaking in solution.


 





Have a good day,
Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment