Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Non-Dairy Ice Cream Sandwiches

Another day without an oven...  The appliance repair man, reported back to me a couple of days ago, only to tell me that the the part that needs to be replaced cost $345!  Sears had a fairly decent range on special for $399... fix the old, or buy  new?    Of course, I took the latter, only to find out that it's on back order till January 28th.  I found a similar range on the Sears website, and the woman we are working with was able to match the price.  Only that was isn't available till Monday.  I was offered one without Shabbat mode to receive immediately, but turned it down.  I lasted this long, I'll last one more weekend.

Going through me freezer this week, I discovered oatmeal cookies and figured I could do something with those.  What I (an my children) like about these cookies, are that even straight from the freezer, they taste great and are soft enough to chew.  This gave me the idea to combine them with me never freeze hard, pareve ice cream, to make ice cream sandwiches that are easy to eat.



Oatmeal Cookies  (makes apx. 4 dz cookies, or 2 dz. sandwich cookies)
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup margarine
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup rolled oats

preheat oven to 375*F.  Mix all dry ingredients. Add rent of ingredients besides the oats, and mix well.  Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet, flatten slightly with finger.  Leave room for the cookies to expand.  Bake 10-12 minutes until tops are browned (they will feel to soft, cookies only harden as the cool)

Non-Dairy Vanilla Ice Cream
6 eggs separated
1 cup icing sugar
6 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
16 oz non-dairy dessert topping

Beat egg whites and confectioners sugar till firm and shiny. Add corn syrup, vanilla and egg yokes.  Mix till combined.
In a separate bowl, whip topping till it forms firm peaks.  Fold both mixtures together.  Freeze over night till firm.
Please note:  raw eggs should not be served to very young kids or the infirmed. You can replace this ice cream with another ice cream of your choice, with similar results.

To From The Sandwiches
Lay 1/2 the oatmeal cookies on the counter.  Put one scoop of ice cream on each.  Place second cookie on top.  Press down, slightly, top cookie to flatten ice cream scoop.  Roll sides of sandwich cookie in sprinkles.  Return to freezer until ready to serve.

Note:  The thing that makes these sandwich cookies so delicious also works to their disadvantage.  The melt in your mouth effect also means these can not stay out long, or they will melt.  Remove from freezer just before serving.

Enjoy,

Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment