Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lox Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing

12 years ago, I spent a year in a seminary in Johannesburg, South Africa.  One family I occasionally went to for Shabbat dinner, would make a delicious lettuce salad with lox in it.  I have yet to find a recipe for this salad.  Yesterday, I decided to come up with my own variation of this dish.

Lox Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing
1 medium head romaine lettuce
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes - halved
8 oz. lox - cut in small pieces (or for a more economical salad, use lox trimmings)
1/2 red onion - thinly sliced (I didn't have any in the house, but I think the salad could use it, for both color and taste)

Poppy Seed Dressing
6 Tbsp Sugar
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
salt and pepper to taste.

Shake all dressing ingredients in a jar with lid on.  Pour over salad just before serving

Have a good week,

Chanie

No comments:

Post a Comment